Dearest THOS Family & Friends,
It has been an incredibly blessed and productive year for THOS-SA and I am humbled to be a part of something that is so much bigger than me. It has been a very rough year for me health-wise, but God has been faithful and there is much to be thankful for!
Please join me as I thank God for:
- Expanding my team to include two beautiful souls--Alette and Beryl--who have a heart for Jesus and a heart for hurting people. Not only have they joined the team as Victim Support Representatives, but both of them enjoy public speaking--something which I do not! Having teammates who are able and willing to conduct seminars is an answer to prayer.
- Growing me in terms of public speaking. He has removed my debilitating fear--I used to lose my breath when I spoke in groups--and tangibly demonstrated that in my weakness, He is strong indeed. Truly, when He calls you, He enables you too. I am a living testimony of that.
- The two Faith & Fidelity seminars that we presented at Helderberg College (for their seminary students), which has resulted in our permanent inclusion in their Pastoral Ethics module from 2017.
- The many relationships that have been formed with our future pastors because of these seminars. I am so grateful for the connections made and the meaningful conversations that we have had!
- The people in Church Leadership who want to do the right thing and are open to admitting that they need help with Clergy Sexual Misconduct (CSM). I have had some very encouraging conversations with some of our leadership who have expressed their desire for THOS-SA to assist with training pastors who are already in the field. Watch this space in 2017!
- The safe arrival of all our resources from America and the kindness of my local church who have allowed me to use their bank account (and accountant) until we have raised enough money to register THOS-SA as an NGO in South Africa.
- Our successful 4-hour workshop on abuse that took place at the AMEN Conference last weekend. Beryl did an outstanding job talking about healing, identity, forgiveness and the gospel! We also had the opportunity to share resources and answer practical questions pertaining to making our churches safe places for vulnerable people.
And last (but not least) I’d like to thank God for gently and lovingly continuing to create beauty from ashes in the lives of all of the survivors who I have had the privilege of walking alongside this past year. Healing is a process, but it is beautiful to watch the redemptive love of God at action in your lives. Watching Jesus meet you where you are has strengthened my faith in Him...and for that I am profoundly grateful.
In His Service,
VP, Victim Support Services, South African Division
P.S. With the following information, you may make direct donations to THOS-SA. Thank you!
The Hope of Survivors--South Africa
Helderberg SDA Church
ABSA Cheque Account 1017091049
Branch code 632005
SWIFT code ABSAZAJJ